Catoctin/Fauquier contact

Catoctin/Fauquier contact
Power washing a quarry block near Aldie, VA that preserves a soft sediment contact of the Fauquier Formation cap carbonate and pillow basalt of the Catoctin Formation.

Thursday, February 16, 2017

Darcy's Law




10 comments:

  1. I like the historical context that you gave for the equation, as well as the applications of the equation in hydrogeology. Nice. Niccce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A simple topic, but easy to get across. You do go a bit too much with tangents on why Darcy's Law is not useful. Maybe limit that. I like your second diagram, it gives a relation to someone like me what types of grains are more permeable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job. The Darcy's Law is well explained. But I don't understand why ha is higher than hb because the water is connected which means the pressure should be equal at the two ends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool historical background. You did a good job answering my question.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I appreciated the back story about Darcy's experiment. Is length^3 the same as volume? And length^2 for area? I would just say volume and area if that is the case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are the same. Perhaps volume and area would be clearer.

      Delete
  6. Good presentation. The figures were really helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wonder if there is a way to take lab values and pressure correct it to values you would see in the field.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you did a good job explaining this. You had a nice balance of historical context, explanation of experimental derivation, explanation of the parts of the equation and real world application. You also cut down on the number of filler words!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like how you put every term under the equation, which makes the equation clear and easy to understand

    ReplyDelete