Catoctin/Fauquier contact

Catoctin/Fauquier contact
Power washing a quarry block near Aldie, VA that preserves a soft sediment contact of the Fauquier Formation cap carbonate and pillow basalt of the Catoctin Formation.

Wednesday, February 1, 2017

A Solar Cell Solution?

Climate change has become an increasingly large concern among scientists and the general population. Many scientists agree that this crisis must be addressed and fixed within the next half century or it may become an irreversible process. Billions of dollars have been spent to address this issue and develop alternative energy sources. While no energy is entirely 'clean', solar energy provides the most environmentally friendly alternative energy.

However, the primary concern is that up to this point, solar cell technology has failed to be implemented on the large scale required to make any sort of appreciable environmental impact. According to the Institute for Energy Research, solar energy makes up less than 1% of the total energy consumption in the U.S. In order to ameliorate the burden we are placing on the Earth's atmosphere, it is imperative that we find a way to increase the amount of solar energy produced. To do this, there needs to be a viable option, in terms of cost and efficiency. The good news is we might have developed a viable option: Copper-Indium-Gallium-Selenide thin-filmed solar cells (CIGS).


Figure 1. Flexible CIGS solar cells are lightweight and easy to install.


Traditional silicon solar cells have dominated the photovoltaic market in the past and currently controls ~90% of the current market, and has a relatively high efficiency of around 25%, according to the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL). So what's the drawback? In the words of Mark Pinto, Applied Material's executive vice president for energy and environmental solutions, "with solar, it's all about cost."

Cost is the primary reason why silicon solar cells has failed. Their high cost has rendered them an ineffectual option for a major alternative energy source. Cost is also an issue with the most efficient solar cells, such as the multi-junction solar cells, which offer the 46% efficiency (via NREL). Because the cost of these solar cells are so high, there is little to no incentive for producers to produce these cells in large quantities, thus solar energy use in the United States is almost negligible. The failure of the silicon solar cell comes at the cost of the Earth's environment.

CIGS is very different from the silicon cells. They belong to a group of solar cells, which utilize new thin-film technology. One advantage of these thin-film cells is that they are flexible and are thus easier to install. Oppositely, silicon solar cells are rigid and require a much stronger substrate (i.e. roof) to attach it to. Additionally, CIGS is significantly cheaper to produce mostly because it can be produced in a one step process.
Figure 2. Thin-film solar cells are diverse due to their flexibility. Here they are shown laid over roof shingles via Paul Martin.


Previously, the primary concern with CIGS was its relatively low efficiency. However, recent advances in solar technology has increased the efficiency of CIGS up to 16-23% (PVinsights and NREL), which is remarkably close to the silicon solar cells. As a result of the relatively low cost of CIGS and its steadily increasing efficiency, Brad Mattson, CEO of Siva Power explains that CIGS offers the "holy grail in solar: silicon-like efficiencies at low thin-film costs". Therefore, CIGS offers what no other solar cell currently offers.

It is imperative that we continue to develop CIGS technology in order to implement it on a large scale. By doing so, we will be able reduce environmentally harmful emissions and, consequently, start to improve our current climate crisis. With steady increases in CIGS efficiency and cost over the past decade, this solar cell solution may become a reality sooner than we think.

24 comments:

  1. There is a lot of interesting stuff here, but written too scientifically. You may want to flip this to bring out the human interest first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooooo what is polysilicon? Greek roots lead me to "more than one" silicon, but I don't know exactly what that means. Is the specific term necessary for understanding the rest of the post, or can you just refer to it as "traditional solar cells"? Just a thought.
    I like this topic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much improved and more accessible to the general audience. I also like that you acknowledged Phillip's input. WHO'S THE COPYCAT NOW??

      Delete
  3. You used a lot of "big" words in the presentation. If I were in the solar cell marketing industry I'd understand everything you said, but after listening to the presentation the average person who might use solar cells on their roof may not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beyond solar cell technology how else is In used that might be of interest to the general audience? Where do we find the In, and how is it extracted? Would your grandmother be able to understand the illustrations? Hand out of the pocket.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that your blog has links to other articles. Is it possible to make your second figure larger? It was hard to read the legend during your presentation

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with the previous comments - try to change the structure of this post to highlight alternative energy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Austin- I also wrote down that you used "ameliorate", "prevalent", "paragon", and "multijunction." These are great scrabble words, but I recommend you eschew obfuscation. Mentioning climate change in the first sentence or two would have grabbed my attention earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not sure how flexibility and roof infrastructure are related, could you elaborate on that? As far as logic flow, your paragraphs are broken up a little strangely. Try and focus on a single idea in each paragraph rather than jumping around so much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Its an interesting concept to discuss, but there is too much going on here to dive into easily. Your explanation was good, though your emphasis was not easily discernable. I guess my question is, what was the take-away?

    ReplyDelete
  10. It might be helpful to mention upfront that solar cells are expensive and that this has limited implementation. When talking about efficiency, you say 25% is high, but to Average Joe, that sounds pretty terrible. Maybe note the range of efficiencies of solar cells for reference. It would be clearer to simplify your discussion of solar cell types into an end-member pair like: rigid vs. flexible. Also, words like photovoltaic are a little science-y.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The environmentally friendly energy like solar energy is always an interesting topic to talk about because it is related every one's life. You mainly focus on the advantage of CIGS like high efficiency compared to other solar cells. I'm actually more curious about its applications. Can you use it in a car or our smart phones in the future? It would be cool to talk about potential applications.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like how your blog beginning with something we all care about. But more pictures may make your blog even better. Your presentation is great. You are very active and energetic.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great job communicating the importance of your topic and current state of solar power. I like how you placed links directly in your writing and good use of photos. I think it might be good to mention why CIGS are cheaper/easier to produce (what is the one-step process, where do CIGS come from)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This streamlined revision of your blog is great and very accessible. Having read thus far I now want to know more about the science. I really like how you integrated quotes from experts into the story.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the new figures and how they show the difference between the "old " solar panels and the new ones.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like the title of your article, The question mark really provoke my curiosity. The figure 2 looks neat.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like the figures. Much better than the previous ones.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like the new title, it's very accessible to a general audience. I also really like the new Figure 1, it makes it clear that these new cells are flexible, thin, and easier to instal. Figure 2: those are solar cells?!?! I never would have guessed.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think these figures are much more approachable. The second photo is great because you wouldn't immediately notice they are solar cells. It shows how versatile they can be.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think your pictures are much more interesting. Your title could be a bit more broad, but mentioning solar cells may also make someone wonder what a solar cell is and start reading.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really like the pictures instead of the diagrams. The reader is able to see the solar cells in action! And thanks for changing the order, its a much easier introduction this time! I think the language is much clearer as well, although I wonder if there is a way to make the blog post without using acronyms.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like the alliteration for the title, though I have no idea if that was intentional. Your figures are a great improvement, and offer a much more relatable image to the average reader. You use CIGS a large amount. As a rule, try to avoid using acronyms as much as possible in favor of other names.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The revised blog is well-organized and those new figures is less wordy and make it easier to understand how important solar cells are in our life.

    ReplyDelete