Catoctin/Fauquier contact

Catoctin/Fauquier contact
Power washing a quarry block near Aldie, VA that preserves a soft sediment contact of the Fauquier Formation cap carbonate and pillow basalt of the Catoctin Formation.

Thursday, February 16, 2017

182Hf-182W chronometry







9 comments:

  1. You may have gone over a bit much with the equations. None of it was too complicated, but I have trouble after a while determining what equation you were trying to focus my attention on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Overall you presented a complex system of equations very well. I like the background you gave on how Hf and W separate during differentiation and the parent-daughter relationship. I would have started with this info before presenting the equations, or saved the first equation until after the first plot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One thing that is still confusing in all isotope chronometers is how do they actually measure multi million year half lives on a reasonable time scale. Not that you needed to explain it here, but might be confusing to most people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a good job explaining complicated concepts, though it would have been useful to focus on only one equation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good explanation of how the equations work, but for the first half of the talk one might wonder what Hf-W systematics are used for.

    It was Philip typing so loudly and angrily, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was good that you gave everyone a background on the Hf/W system, but you could have cut more from the explanation of its uses. I think it would also have been helpful to focus the presentation more on a specific piece of the Hf/W system. You basically taught a class on geochronology. If you are going to return to epsilon later, I would take more time to explain how it is different from delta notation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was a very thorough presentation, but we may have gotten a bit bogged down for a 5 minute presentation. I think the Hf182 and Hf180 distinction is important, but it took a while to get to the point on that. Also, needs more cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is a good talk but I'm a bit lost in the middle part. You explain the advantage of replacing Hf with W in the last equation very well. Maybe some more background knowledge will be more helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is a challenge to explain such a complex concept. But you did a good job, I wish you would more focused on the one equation you want to present more

    ReplyDelete