Voyager 2 image of smooth volcanic plains on Triton's surface (300 miles across). Volcanic flood regions on Triton likely correspond to a collapsed caldera. In some cases, volcanic flows may have been contributed from small vents as well. Image is borrowed from the NASA JPL Voyager Mission Website: http://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/neptune.html
Triton was likely captured into orbit around Neptune about 4 Gyr ago from an initially heliocentric, elliptical orbit (Agnor and Hamilton, 2006). Once captured, the satellite's orbit would have circularized, contributing tidal stresses deforming the satellite and causing internal heating and subsequent ocean formation (Roberts and Nimmo, 2008; Ross and Schubert, 1990). We evaluate the ability of an ocean to survive until present by numerically modelling the cooling and crystallization of this ocean, incorporating the influence of internal heating from orbital evolution, and compositional constraints based on satellite observations.

Voyager 2 image of Triton's "cantaloupe" terrain (80,000 miles across), characterized by linear ridges and elliptical depressions thought to have formed as a result of diapirism within the crust. There are a various types of ridge formations found over Triton's surface. This image shows intersecting double ridges. Image borrowed from NASA JPL Voyager Mission Website:http://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/neptune.html
Triton's crust and mantle are predominantly composed of H2O though observations suggest additional concentrations of ammonia and methane as well. For an entirely H2O composition, it would not be possible to maintain an ocean. Temperatures within Triton's interior would not likely exceed the melting temperature of H2O. Therefore, an early ocean or partially molten layer would solidify quickly. The presence of impurities significantly lowers the crystallization temperature of the system, however. This acts to lengthen the duration of an ocean. Indeed, earliest results from this study show that composition largely influences the evolution and sustainability of an ocean. These results have shown that it is possible to sustain an ocean until present given relatively large concentrations of impurities and tidal heating within Triton's crust.
For further information about the evolution of Triton, please refer to the references below.
References:
Agnor, C. B., and D. P. Hamilton, Neptune’s capture of its moon triton in a binary-planet gravitational encounter, Nature, 2006.
Brown, R. H., and R. L. Kirk, Coupling of volatile transport and internal heat flow on triton., Journal of Geophysical Research, 1994.
Roberts, J. H., and F. Nimmo, Tidal heating and the long-term thermal stability of a subsurface ocean on Enceladus, Icarus, 194, 675–689, doi:10.1016/j.icarus.2007.11.010, 2008.
Ross, M. N., and G. Schubert, The coupled orbital and thermal evolution of triton, Geophysical Research Letter, 1990.
Schenk, P. M., and K. Zahnle, On the negligible surface age of triton, Icarus, 2007.

Overall a good post on an interesting topic, but in some ways (references and layout dominantly) it reads more like an abstract than a blog post. Two strong points are that the language remains accessible to a general audience and the question/importance are stated up front.
ReplyDeleteI'd also like to get more of a feel for your research rather than a more general set of information, however I think from the sound of it you may still be in the early stages, so this is understandable.
I think this is an interesting, clear, and well-written post. Enough background information is given to understand the significance of the work that is described. My only suggestion would be to change the title (it seems to be a bit wordy). My other comment is more of a question: Is it customary to refer to melted ice as "molten"? (Why not 'liquid'?) I only ask because I found the usage of "molten" confusing. (When I think of "molten" material, I think of materials with relatively high melting points, like rock, metals, etc.).
ReplyDeleteIt would be helpful if you added a short section explaining how/why a subsurface ocean could cause the volcanism that you see on Triton.
ReplyDeleteThis is a really interesting topic and I really like the photos. I was just wondering if the volcanism and tectonics you reference cryovolcanism and ice rafting? You might want to be more specific about the kinds of volcanism and tectonic activity if not. Do those things require a liquid ocean or could they occur with melting within a solidified mantle, out of curiosity? I think it would be interesting to go into other possible mechanisms for the formation of the morphology that is observed.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed the post, and found it engagingly written. I think it could be further improved by adding an introductory paragraph that "sets the stage" for a general audience, explaining the exotic landscape and its components in a way that can be held readily in the mind's eye. I might suggest something like, "Picture a world where rock and magma are replaced with ice and water..." as a starting point, to assist an audience unfamiliar with icy celestial bodies in coming to grips with the setting.
ReplyDeleteA well structured post in a simple language, which makes it easy to follow for readers without a Planetary science background. Maybe the last two or three sentences, which sound a bit repetitive, could be condensed or combined. The images are impressive, but I'm wondering if a picture showing the layers of Triton (with the possible ocean) in cross section could be valuable for the reader.
ReplyDeleteI always has difficult to understand how they use this image to tell a story aboue age or something else. But the figure is cool. But I can evaluate how good the content is for this post.
ReplyDeleteOverall, a good post with a good amount of background. For the most part, it is accessible to a general audience. A diagram showing H20 melting point vs. concentration of some impurity concentration might help illustrate your point.
ReplyDeleteThis is an engaging post. If you were concerned about an audience understanding freezing point depression, winter road salting is a perfect analogy. I'd also be interested to hear more about the sources of uncertainty in both orbital evolution and compositional determination.
ReplyDeleteThis is interesting work and I think you start with good background information on Triton. I like that you leave out most of the complexity of the numerical modeling. Maybe at the end emphasize what the significance of the possibility of Triton being able to sustain an ocean is.
ReplyDelete